The Alhambra is an Andalusian palatine city located in Granada, in the autonomous community of Andalusia, Spain. It consists of a set of palaces, gardens and fortress that housed a true citadel within the city of Granada, which served as an accommodation for the monarch and for the Nazari court Kingdom of Granada. Its true appeal, as in other Muslim works of the time, lies not only in the interiors, whose decoration is among the summits of Andalusian art, but also in its location and adaptation, generating a new landscape, but fully integrated with the preexisting nature.
The Alhambra has been a palatine city, palace of kings and fortress, all in one. The complex is a surprising construction: it has no main façade, no center, no axis. Buildings, towers, palaces, patios and gardens are naturally occurring, as if the very lives of its inhabitants had been designed.
Al-Ahmar, founder of the Nazari Dynasty, settles in 1238 in the Ancient Alcazaba of the Albaicin and decides to begin its reconstruction and install the court.
The Alhambra was a palace, citadel and fortress, residence of the Nazari sultans and high officials, court servants and elite soldiers.
After 1492, the Alhambra was established as Royal House with exempt jurisdiction in charge of the Count of Tendilla. The Catholic Kings ordered intensive repairs using many Moorish craftsmen.
Emperor Charles V decided in 1526 to build the palace that bears his name, along with other very significant constructions of Roman Renaissance taste. The house of Austria continued from Philip II and his successors in charge of the conservation of the Alhambra, admired by humanists and artists such as Andrea Navaggiero, ambassador of Venice at the Court of Charles V.
In 1944, a new Board of Trustees was created that is maintained until the transfer to the Autonomous Community of Andalusia of the functions and services of the State in matter of the culture.