Inaugurated on September 24th of 1957 y catalogued by the UEFA with the maximum distinction, is the stadium with the largest capacity in Europe and the second one of soccer in the world, with and actual number of 99354 spectators.
The first official game that was hosted by Camp Nou, had place on October 6th of 1957 and Barcelona faced Real Jaen, in the match corresponding to the fourth day of the National Championship League First Division of the season 1957/58.
The “Espai Barça” project, promoted by the current president Josep Maria Bartomeu, is a complete reform and unification of the environment occupied by the Camp Nou block and the Palau Blaugrana and the adjacent areas of the Mini Estadi, separated by the street Aristides Maillol.
For the approval of this project, a referendum was held between the partners. The ‘yes’ victory was clear, with 72.3% voters’ approval, giving the green light to begin the process of obtaining the required licenses, along with the selection of projects for stadium remodeling and construction of a new sports pavilion. The project includes, among other actions, a deep remodeling and extension of the stadium called “Nou Camp Nou” and the construction of a “Nou Palau Blaugrana” on the grounds of a Mini Estadi, which will be relocated to the “Ciutat Esportiva” of San Juan Despí. As planned, the works would continue from the summer of 2017 until the summer of 2021.